Thursday, January 10, 2008

Why Braille is Not Always Necessary

Recently I've been noticing Braille writing more. Maybe it's because I've recently developed a love for the impaired or I'm just bored of reading normal signs and have moved on to a different reading language, but still, I've noticed it more. I am beginning to question just how important Braille actually is on certain signs. Here are the examples that I have gathered where Braille might not be so important.

1) The drive-thu ATM. This is an Automated Teller Machine. It is not easy to use if you can't see the screen. Yes, there is Braille on the touchpad to type in your pin number, and Braille to tell you where to insert your card, and a place to put a headphone jack, but unless you've memorized all of this, there is no way a blind person would be able to actually get money from the machine. Also, WHY ARE THEY DRIVING? That is a hazard.
2) Outside of public restrooms. If a blind woman goes into the men's restroom, she can't see anything. As long as she doesn't sit on a urinal, it's okay.
3) On the touchpad to enter pin numbers at Best Buy. Are they buying movies? They...can't see them. And I know hearing is just as important, blah blah, but NOT REALLY.
4) AT LENSCRAFTERS. This is self explanatory.
5) I have no more, but keep an eye out for weird places to have Braille. It's weird.

No comments: